Classes cancelled April 7th (Traveling to see the eclipse :). Classes cancelled April 21st (Tucson Tango Festival). ×

Priming the Musical Pump 2

• 8 Mar '16

What I was missing was the real deal. Here’s some music from the Golden Age. I think it helps to see some of these performances to recover from the cartoonish introduction that many of us received. This is very serious and beautiful music delivered with passion.
Below is a clip of the orchestra of Juan D’Arienzo – from 1964. This is ten years after the end of the Golden Age. D’Arienzo is a very lively 64, passionately leading the music and often standing next to, and making eye contact with the vocalist. The biggest song of the year is “I Want to Hold Your Hand” by the Beatles. In contrast, Alberto Echague belts out this song for grown-ups. This could be the sequel song for I Want to Hold Your Hand relationship twenty years later. The lyrics are about love lost, and blame lost too.
You and I cannot go back to yesterday
Never mind. Such is life
It was pure selfishness that brought us together again
And that selfishness shows us how different we are.
Why should we fool ourselves?
Never mind. Such is life
Meanwhile, back at the Ed Sullivan Theater, the Beatles are four guys facing the audience singing I want, I want, I want to…… This is no cartoon.

https://youtu.be/7uya-FWs62Y?list=PLS1lHm_CJJTOIp2IUCYXCyQ2yb9Fim4d-

dwyliuDavid Liu
  • 26 Mar '16

Fantastic link! That was so! awesome to watch! I've added to the Musicality article.

Also, very interesting ... if you watch him closely, you get a sense for what he wants ... look at how he moves ... that is what he wants the musicians to do ... perhaps, often even more! strident. In some sections, not rhythmic enough.

When listening to music, we can ask not just "what do we hear", but also, "what does this music want to be". Great with songs you know well that are played badly :)

Best,
David

• Page 1 of 1