Basic Variations - Beg/Int - About The Cross - Not Crossing
- Artist Name:
- Alex Krebs
- Song Title:
- Hay Que Vivirla Compadre
- Album Title:
- New York Tango Jam Session
- Artist Website:
From website: (Alex Krebs) Has been studying the bandoneon since May 2001, directed the tango band "Conjunto Berretin." (with 2 CD's recorded) from 2003-2008, and currently is arranging/directing a tango sextet and arranging/directing an Orquesta Tipica for the Portland Tango Festivals in Feb. and Oct.
- At the beginning, beginning students
are often taught…
- ..actually some teachers just teach
that the cross is not led.
- And personally we disagree.
- We do.
- And eventually, when you cross you can say...
- ..you can change the speed with
which the cross happens.
- And you can take the cross
and keep part of it…
- ..and throw another part out, to make new shapes.
- So that’s what we’re going to do now.
- We’re going to lead the cross,
except say at the last minute "don’t cross".
- First half of the basic is normal,here I take her
- ..and I lift up saying "don’t step".
- So on my back arm, basic da-da-da and I say, "cross"…
- ..but then I say, "up don’t step"
and I’ll pivot her while she’s up.
- So it can go in a new direction
and it gives the follower a beautiful embellishment.
- It’s a beautiful shape that I make.
- So as you watch her foot…
- ..she has this beautiful moment of going back,
crossing, pivoting and then escaping.
- I did.
- So she lifts up - as I lift her up
and she pivots to go forward ocho...
- ..I’m going to escape my foot, side.
- And then into forward ocho.
- One last time -
actually let’s pick another angle.
- If we do it this way, I end up walking that way
and they don’t see anything, right?
- No, they’ll see a different angle.
They saw it at the other angle a few times.