Combinations Commonly in the Body of Tango Lore - Va Y Ven
In this step, as in others, there are places where either you are going around someone else or they are going around you. When someone is going around you, you want to become narrow so they can get around. You want to step right in place or not at all, depending upon the combination. And when you are going around them, you, oftentimes, need to take a bigger step than you might think, being careful that you don't change the distance or knock them off their axis.
So, when you are rehearsing this steps, or steps like it, practice it a couple of times thinking only, "am I going around them?" or "am I making it easy for them to go around me?"
- Artist Name:
- Alex Krebs
- Song Title:
- Fuegos Artificiales
- Album Title:
- Artist Website:
From website: (Alex Krebs) Has been studying the bandoneon since May 2001, directed the tango band "Conjunto Berretin." (with 2 CD's recorded) from 2003-2008, and currently is arranging/directing a tango sextet and arranging/directing an Orquesta Tipica for the Portland Tango Festivals in Feb. and Oct.
- How do we do that?
- David is going to show us.
- It'll start forward on the left for the leader,
back on the right for the follower.
- And you’ll see we have a small turn.
- And after that I’m going to step around her,
- And I’m going to step on my left foot.
- And then I’m going to bring my feet together
and she’s going to step around me on her right.
- For the leaders - so it’s going to be forward…
- ..after that you step side around her.
- And you really want to step past her,
so that she can go around you.
- From another angle.
- Let’s see what would be a good angle.
- Let’s do this angle.
- So you’ve got forward, you pass her,
she comes around you.
- For the followers, I’m the girl now.
- Switching gears.
- Back on the right foot, small turn.
- He steps around you, pivots,
then you step around him.
- One more time, other angle.
- Back, he steps around you,
you step around him.
- Now after that, to do it again we just did
a weight change and we can repeat.
- Technique tips.
- On the forward around, I - as I go forward,
I’m turning as I’m going.
- As I step around her, I lift up...
- ..and then I let her body shift in my arms
as I shift around her.
- So what she feels is up and then it shifts as I shift.
- That’s the magic thing to get me to stay...
- ..with my feet together, so he can get around me.
- But also to create that weight change.
- And then here is another soft -
it’s almost like cradling a baby.
- But a little more turning and a little less cradle
to create that side step.
- So that after I step around her,
then I rotate to my left…
- ..stepping in place,left instep to right heel.
- She steps around me.
We change weight together.
- For the followers, I think the hardest part is...
- ..to keep the feet together,
pivot and change weight.
- So if you watch my feet,
I’m going to do the follower’s part.
- It goes back, it's a tight change,
tight pivot, step.
- So I really want you to think that you go back,
pivot, change, pivot, step.
- So, if you make that really clean and clear…
- ..then it will really have a swooshing...
- D: ..which is very fun.
N: Yes, swooshing is very fun.
- Did you just say that?
- Well, there you go.
- We’re unanimous.