Vocabulary - Take 2 - Followers - Gancho
Doing a gancho correctly doesn't have to feel tremendously physically invasive. If you're significant others or very (very) friendly, there's no problem. If you're not, you can make the right connection but make it a little faster and sharper. And you can focus more on the spirit of the dance and less on the interpersonal element of the movement. Doing the move correctly but in a somewhat more impersonal way makes a huge difference in how intimate it feels.
- Artist Name:
- Pablo Banchero
- Song Title:
- Cabo Polonio
- Album Title:
- Tangos Nuevos - Modales y Finura
- Artist Website:
One of our favorite singers of the modern day.
- So a lot of times the followers confuse
a front boleo with a gancho.
- And the difference, the way it feels is
when he wants you to do a front boleo…
- ..he’s going to bump your thigh like that
and it makes you go out.
- And when he wants you to do a gancho...
- ..he’s going to turn you away from him
and bring you back, sharply.
- Well at least end sharply on your heels.
- You’ll be on the ball of your foot and
he’ll turn you away and bring you back sharply.
- Whereas if he wants the front boleo,
- Also, so he doesn’t always bump.
- It’s sort of the preferred lead because it’s unequivocable.
N. Yes, it's really easy.
- But also you can imagine that, if
she’s standing on this left leg -
- This right leg.
- D: I’m sorry, on this right leg...
N: The other left leg.
- ..if I turned her this way around her right leg…
- ..that becomes a front boleo.
- This is front boleo, whereas if I turn her
while she’s on both feet...
- ..just a hair, you know,
10% on the left 90% on the right...
- ..and then I take her back this way,
that becomes a gancho.
- That was cool.
- So the other issue is
once we’ve done the gancho...
- ..we come down into the same position
as we're in...
- ..when we step over on the freno
and again we just let him do us both.
- Show them the wrongs,
so they know what to avoid.
- Okay, I think.
- I think the wrong goes something like,
up and then down and then over.
- That was really wrong. But yes.
- So, for the ladies, when you gancho,
bang there's your gancho,
- ..when you exit I want you to have this slow controlled exit
instead of something like -
- ..here let me gancho you,
instead of something like -
- ..where you immediately fall forward
because you’re off balance.
- And that’s partly on the women,
but it’s partly on the men too.
- To keep - to not take the women
beyond their axis.
- But yes, there’s this thought that
this gancho happens...
- ..while you’re balanced on your
- And you can just hang there and just do cool stuff
- ..while you hang there and gancho again,
or whatever it is.
- And then you can exit.
- Not to say that you need to do cool stuff.
But to say that you’re balanced.