Practicing at Home - Leg Exercise Sequence
- Artist Name:
- Song Title:
- A La Gran Muñeca
- Album Title:
- It Takes Q To Tango
- Artist Website:
(From the website): Created in July, 2009 by Erskine Maytorena, a third generation tango musician and opera singer, QTANGO performs authentic Argentine tango arrangements as often as two to three times a week throughout the Southwest for tango dancers and listeners.
- Right now, we’re going to do a series of -
I’m going to call them exercises.
- You can think of this as artistic aerobics.
- So, I want you just to follow along.
- I’m going to go pretty rapidly,
but this is filmed with the intent that…
- ..you’ll actually re-watch it and, you know, put it in
your morning exercise routine, or whatever.
- I’ll give you only a little bit of technique.
- I’ll do a motion and then we’ll move on.
- So just follow along,
catch as catch can.
- We’re going to start out and you’re going to
- So, you’re going to go side with your left leg.
- You point side, left, cross forward.
- Notice the rotation in my upper body.
- Notice the way I go to the edge
of the inside toe.
- Switching, circling forward.
- Contra body, circle side, hits inside, points back,
heel up, heel comes down as you go through.
- Notice, once again, how the leg is correlated
with the body.
- I’m going to cut behind this time.
Other side, points forward, circles back.
- I’m going to scoot so you can see.
- Last time, I’m going to cut behind.
- Once again, as the foot comes in,
can’t see it from that angle…
- ..from this angle, my heel comes down.
- On this side, now,
you’ll draw up along your leg.
- Notice how my thigh is softly crossing over.
And them comes down and switch legs.
- If you watch from the side, from the side,
my ankle points as I come up and then goes down.
- My ankle points as I come up and comes down.
- You don’t have to pivot. You can, if you want.
- If I go on the other side, it’s still tight.
- My foot is still tight along my body.
- My foot is still pointed. If I beat.
- Other side, same thing.
- In a front ocho motion,
you step forward.
- Look at the long leg line through to
the point of the ball of the foot.
- You come all the way over.
- Right now because you don’t have help,
swing the arms so you can have a soft pivot.
- Roll to the ball of the foot.
- Do guys do this too? Actually, they do.
- So you see, the stretch through my right thigh
and now this stretch through my left...
- ..as then I yearn to look to my partner, you.
- Also, let’s add some kicks.
- So if I kick up from the side, soft bend as I rise.
Then bend further come down along your leg.
- One more time, up bend, down along the leg,
- Up bend, down along the leg.
Up bend, down along the leg.
- If we now go to gancho or boleo,
we’re going to hit a lunge line.
- Very turned out in my left hip socket,
heel, very high.
- Collect in, pivot, do the other side.
Collect in, pivot, do the other side.
- Last time.
- Collect your thighs. Back with your left thigh
and then the knee bends, bang.
- Step side.
- Collect the thighs. Back with the right thigh,
bang, and it bends.
- Thigh back, knee bends, foot hits, flicks, comes back.
Tight in the thighs.
- Watch it repeatedly.
Do it repeatedly.