Practicing at Home - Intermediate Vocabulary for the Follower
- Artist Name:
- Orchesta El Arranque
- Album Title:
- Artist Website:
(condensed from their website): Started in 1996 with young musicians, Orchesta el Arranque has performed in 250 cities internationally.
- So, there are some exercises that followers can do,
at home all by themselves, as well...
- ..in order to make the techniques for the intemediate steps
flow better when they're dancing.
- So, for the gancho, again, there are two different
movements that you need to make...
- ...and I've got this perfect tango dolly
to show you how to do that.
- So, you do both, the open out movement...
- ..and the beginning of the gancho movement...
- ..and it's valuable to just practice that.
- So, there's the isolation in the leg...
- ...which we taught.
- D: But then there's also this, rotation in the hips.
N: And he's going to be opening.
- And it's that co-ordination that would make
a lot of sense to practice together.
- And just keep doing that until it's comfortable.
- So, and then, with the molinette,
so everybody theoretically...
- ...has this nifty light, or you have a pole,
or you have a broom, something.
- Take a string, and put it around the pole
or the broom or the light or whatever you have...
- ..and then just do a molinette, so you stay
at the same distance all the way around.
- If the light breaks, then you know
you went the wrong distance.
- N: Actually, if it falls over, you know, too.
D: Right, if it falls...
- As you get better, you can use more expensive lights.
- David. And then, despite the way this looks...
- ..this is really a wall or a door or, even better,
let it be the edge of a door.
- And, for the drag, what we want you
to be able to do...
- ..is pivot all the way around it and stay facing it.
- So, just on the edge of any door, do that.
- And you can do it to either side.
- So, for example, if you're facing your partner...
- ..you would then pivot a lot and go past.
- Keeping your energy and your face,
towards the partner.
- Do it the other side.
- So you're facing your partner,
you pivot a whole ton...
- ..and then you go past.
- And then your partner's right here,
so you're still facing them.
- So, there are just things that you can practice,
that hopefully will make it lot easier...
- ..and more beautiful when you come to do some of these
intermediate steps with a partner in a dance.