Ganchos, Boleos and Kicks - Intermediate - Kick Between The Legs, Back Boleo
A very subtle technique detail for the follower is that, when the follower kicks forward with her left foot, she pulls back with the left foot. The natural questions is, "David, how will I know to do this? Why am I doing this in this one position".
Going one level bigger, we can make the point that any time anyone dancing tango extends a leg forward, they pull the same hip backwards and they tighten their abs. This helps create contra body motion and extends the line.
And one level even bigger, the placement and facing of the hips in tango is really important. Often, a step can be executed with mediocre hip placement. But equally often, it doesn't feel good until the hips are where they should be and consciously involved.
- Artist Name:
- Momo Smitt
- Song Title:
- Dance With The Weight Of The World
- Album Title:
- Tango World
- Artist Website:
From website: My Name is Momo Smitt, I am an independently funded/promoted hip hop artist based in Portland, OR. My music covers a wide range of topics from recovery and personal growth to political and environmental issues. Though much of my music is expressed from a first person perspective of opinions and feelings, I also tend to take a narrative, story-telling approach while detailing my experiences through the role of "observer".
- So this combination combines kicks between the legs with
boleos both front and back.
- And it’s kind of kooky and it’s kind of fun.
- So the first boleo, you know. Bang.
- First kick between the legs,
I’m going to throw it…
- ..and I’ll bring her back and stop.
- And as I bring her back, I’ll actually throw it forward.
- So it goes, throw her out for the boleo.
Bring her back, stop.
- So you see how I accelerate and stop
as I’m bringing her to face me.
- And it stops with her -
actually so what would happen…
- ..I throw, I’ll bring her back to me
and I’ll give her a small chip...
- ..like locking into place.
- And that would correspond for the ladies with -
- And then here he’ll bring your body back
just a little.
- There are other ways of leading this,
but I think that’s a more natural way.
- So now did we show that in the best angle before,
when we did it?
- Yes we showed it at a good angle.
We can show it here too.
- For the followers…
- I’m the leader now, Grr.
- Thank you.
- Here’s the throw.
- Remember to bring your feet in tight
and then when he stops you, bang...
- ..pulling the body back and stopping sharply…
- ..that momentum has to go somewhere,
so it goes down into your free leg.
- Again, same thing, repeat.
- Now here, for the leaders, are going to just take you
more around instead of stopping…
- ..and watch how my left foot,
escapes past my right…
- ..so I can grab that kick there.
- Then we’ll make the transition more natural.