Practicing at Home - Intermediate Vocabulary for the Leader
- Artist Name:
- Orchesta El Arranque
- Album Title:
- Artist Website:
(condensed from their website): Started in 1996 with young musicians, Orchesta el Arranque has performed in 250 cities internationally.
- Leaders, for some of your intermediate vocabulary,...
- ..here are some different things you can do by yourself.
- First for the gancho: gancho, bang, she hits,...
- ...there's two different co-ordinations.
- The first co-ordination is where you're taking her,
from center to back,...
- ...and the second co-ordination
is when you're pivoting her on her axis.
- And you're doing these two co-ordinations
at the same time.
- So you're doing - that.
- And so, what I'd like to do at home,
is to practice one, the shift,...
- ...and then, two, the pivot. And then, three, putting them together.
- Now this is remarklably similar to boleo.
- And so, doesn't everyone have, at home,
a folding chair?
- They're all like, "no."
- Well, we have them in dance studios.
- And so, you get something that's akin to a folding chair;
it doesn't have to be the same.
- And, in boleo, there's this idea that you're going to
throw the woman and stop her...
- ..when she's balanced on one leg.
- So she starts out, if I'm the girl,...
- ..on two legs and you throw her back, bang.
- So, here's the girl, balanced on two legs...
- ..and you're going to throw her back and stop her
when she's vertical.
- And, the instinct is to stop her too late
and she's off her axis.
- So, I want you to do this with a very female chair.
- And go: wham.
- And then stop, and ideally stop
when the chair's vertical.
- And this is also very much the same with the gancho.
- So you can do two for one.
- The final thing, and you have better equipment than I do.
- I only have a chair. You have a wall.
- So what I want you to do, is I want you to go
and put your back to a wall.
- And so, for the freno, the basic idea is that
I want you to isolate in your right leg...
- ..and then turn.
- Where the turn is you're pulling
your right hip back.
- And so, as you do that,
I want you to have the wall...
- ..or in my case, the chair's feet back.
- So that your butt or hips, and your shoulder blades,
at least one...
- ..is touching the wall the whole time.
- Because the instinct is to invade her space.
- So, tools for feedback. Go and practice.