Vals Vocabulary - Floating Through Ocho
This is kind of what floating through ocho feels like to Nancy:
- Artist Name:
- Alex Krebs
- Song Title:
- Romance Del Barrio
- Album Title:
- Artist Website:
From website: (Alex Krebs) Has been studying the bandoneon since May 2001, directed the tango band "Conjunto Berretin." (with 2 CD's recorded) from 2003-2008, and currently is arranging/directing a tango sextet and arranging/directing an Orquesta Tipica for the Portland Tango Festivals in Feb. and Oct.
- Or, again.
- And so, this is, perhaps counter-intuitively, vals.
- And so, we have this wonderful flowing at the beginning,
- And then, after that, there's this moment of suspension to release.
- In slow motion, I'll show the leader's part first:
- You start with back ocho; side, you change, pivot, and step, and pivot, and step.
- So, that you should know. One normal back ocho.
- Ta, pa-da-tam, pa-da-tam.
- And then, here, it's suspends before going.
- So, you see my exit, to the two back ochos, back ocho, back ocho,
- Here is I keep on pivoting, so she steps side. I lift, so we wait. And then we go back, back.
- So, back ochos. Then, leader, you're going to pivot to your right, and suspend. And then go back twice.
- For the follower, you have, guess what, back ochos. You know, so, normal back ocho, normal back ocho.
- And then, you're going to, instead of pivoting again, you're stepping side, around him, hovering, and then going forward twice.
- So, here's our back ocho... then, right here, I rotate, so she goes around me, suspend, and then off: one, two.
- Different angle:
- And that's showing it a little slow motion.
- One thing I really want you to think about is that, for this suspension, you really want to keep the sense of flow.
- As an exercise at home, for the leaders, this is your part.
- D: Ugh!
D: So, if you will.
- N: You want me to be a leader?
D: Yeah, be a leader.
- N: Grrr!
D: You want to have your left foot more back, though. Yeah.
- And, for the followers, then, as you go back, I want you to think, you go: back, around.
- So, you're almost pulling against the leader, in that suspension, before you release.
- And it really adds texture. You go: back, side... forward.
- So, let's show it with lots of flow, and... here we go.