Milonga Style - Heavy Landing
In Argentine Tango, because we have more time, we typically do more things. Milonga is faster and almost unrelenting. It can still feel easy, however, because we just don't do a lot (from a vocabulary perspective, ).
Howover, to make up for less vocabulary, there is a more ever present styling. So, once you get comfortable walking forward and changing weight on the beat, then you ask a question: "how does walking forward and changing weight in milonga differ from walking forward and changing weight in tango or some other dance?"
Another milonga, which we really like, is Horacio Godoy's: Very fun milonga
In time, as you get comfortable with milonga and adding the styling, you can start to change it to make it your own.
- Artist Name:
- Joe Powers
- Song Title:
- Se Dice De Mi
- Album Title:
- Amor de Tango
- Artist Website:
(From the website): International harmonica sensation, Joe Powers is taking his instrument to new heights with his energetic and engaging performances that cover a full spectrum of musical genres.
- So, in these four chapters, we're going to brake down milonga...
- David: Style.
- What makes milonga - milonga.
- And so, we're going to have four ideas, in each one of these four chapters, and we're going to use 6-count basic as context.
- So, just seeing a flat 6-count basic.
- Side, forward, forward, side, back, back.
- You know, very flat. Different angle:
- And what I'm going to do, to make it more milonga, is to add a harder landing.
- So, instead of going, "Ah", where it's very smooth, which is sort of a tango way, normally, we'll go...
- So, he's kind of falling into his steps, letting his weight go first.
- And so, what happens is I go and, at the last minute, I catch myself. I go, and catch.
- Show what that looks like in the 6-count basic.
- That's what I was just doing.
- I knew that!
- So... Well, almost what I want you to do when you're at home,
- Is just to go, and go, and then fall off-balance, and then catch yourself late, instead of the normal landing.
- If we do that together, it would look like this.