More With The Gancho - Advanced - Gancho - Overturned Outside
People do this in shows pretty frequently. It's obviously not easy. Realistically, it's probably not something you'd do socially with someone with whom you have not danced before because it is so diffcult. But it is sometimes fun to explore the possibilities.
- Artist Name:
- Kristina Olsen
- Song Title:
- Hey I Want That Back
- Album Title:
- All Over Down Under
- Artist Website:
From a review on the website: Olsen, an itinerant troubadour who regularly graces Australian folk festivals, was at her most engaging. Such was the candour of her songs and chatty tales that it would impossible for anyone with blood in their veins not to empathise with her. Her full-throated voice and crisp guitar served up such diverse subject matter as crop-dusting and prostitution, while a revealing yarn about life-drawing classes introduced The Truth of a Woman. From her new CD came In Your Darkened Room, the title track to an album containing some of her finest work, a black frost edging her usual warmth and humour.
- So, we showed ganchos that were inside or outside on both sides.
- Now we’re going to start a series of ganchos
that are a little more difficult to do...
- ..but they’re really cool.
- Ganchos that are a lot more difficult to do...
- D: ..but they’re really cool.
N: Like I was saying.
- But it’s worth it because they’re really cool.
- There are some things like that in Tango...
- ...that they look so cool that
it's worth the suffering to get them.
- And these are some of them.
- So, the ones they're going to show us, now,
are overturned outside ganchos.
- Well, an overturned outside gancho,
so go for it.
- Actually, let me show each part
because it’s full of suffering.
- Actually, let me show the leader’s part first
and then I’ll show the follower's part.
- So, for the leaders, we have, side outside.
This is the normal position.
- And then I’m going to go past her.
- So, if you want look at her back foot,...
- ...I’m going to step around it
and, as I do that, she’s going to pivot.
- So, that’s the first thing.
- Just getting that position, because - and, for the followers,…
- ...notice how much she’s having to
pivot in the upper body.
- So right here,
her left arm slides up, over...
- ..for the leaders, I’m lowering
so it’s easier for her to turn.
- It depends. In her case, I’m going to
straighten my left leg a little bit…
- ..and then slowly, slowly extend back
in your thigh a lot and then kick, bang.
- And how do you make that safe, exactly?
- Actually, make sure she pivots a lot.
- New camera. Make sure she pivots a lot.
Just to emphasize that.
- Because, what happens is, if she doesn’t
pivot enough, she hits your shin.
- And I wouldn’t do this without
practicing with that particular partner.
- For the followers...
- So here I let him plant me,
he pivots me, I collect my feet.
- And actually I’m going to scoot
you a tiny hair more around...
- ..so that this left foot
is more equilateral around the foot.
- Actually, bring the back foot in too. Bingo.
- And there’s that equilateral triangle.
- Go lower a tiny hair,
I’ll pivot more, bang.
- Boy, that looked dangerous, David.
- Ah, good point.
- So you notice something good about his thighs?
They were glued together.
- They were like this.
- If you have thighs like this
and she kicks, this is potentially - yes.
- So, be here, unless you’re absolutely sure
she’s not going to make it.
- We’ve had students that would make it and a half.
- So let’s show that again. Let's show that again.
N. Okay. Very cool.
- Do it together. Do it together.
- Yes, much better
- Good. And let’s do it from the other side too.
- So, face the other way Alex.
- And freeze.
- And I’m going to scoot you
a little more forward.
- So, pull your back foot in and come around.
- And, if you look at the feet, it’s because
I want her left foot on that equilateral triangle.
- Keep going.
- Goes around, his arm slides, he lowers, bang, she kicks.
- A little bit of momentum to cause that kick.
- So there’s both sides; study, repeat, good luck.
- Not easy.
- Be patient, it takes a while to get it.