Walking - Intermediate - Float To Through
This simple combination is easier, for most people, than walking straight forward in a line.
Being able to walk straight at your partner, or have your partner walk straight through you, for a few steps, and have it feel good, is one of the hardest things. We think it's harder to just walk than to do any of the "regular steps" such as basic..., or molinette..., or wrap..., or even a lean. But, the other side of this is that, once you can just walk and have it feel good and clear and textured, then, probably, all of your dancing will feel good and clear and textured.
- Artist Name:
- Ruth Roshan
- Song Title:
- P. M.
- Album Title:
- Tango Noir
- Artist Website:
From website: In Tango Noir's second all original album, "Darling ... Keep it to Yourself", Ruth uses the rhythms of the cabaret, the Tango, the Habanera, the Waltz, Ruth successfully infuses the album with an atmosphere of 1930s Berlin to create music which is new and nostalgic at the same time. It is a very listenable and beautiful album.
- We call that: Float to through.
- And the, the idea I want to have -
the idea I want to have is...
- ..that you're going to have a textured walking.
- That when we talk about walking
forward or back or side...
- ..or forward two times, or back
or it's alternating...
- ..not every walk is the same.
- And so here we have a back walk that's...
- ..which is up over sighing down small.
- And then we have a forward walk which is
digging under and going through.
- Lead me in this actually.
- So right here, she's going to take
a small step back on her left...
- ..hovering up, stepping back.
- And then here it digs under and goes forward.
- And then, that creates a very textured walking.
It's very fun.
- It was fun to lead.
- I don't think I'd ever led that.
- So, brief technique tips.
- For the leaders, I want you to lift up...
- ..and that's going to tell the follower, among other things,
that it's not a big step.
- And then you both move.
- When you catch you control
the descent with the ball of the foot...
- ..for both people,
leaders and followers.
- And then for this back step for the follower,
forward for the leader...
- ..we'll dig under and step.
- And then it will repeat.
- That's exaggerating.
- Showing one last time, not exaggerating.