More in the Lean - Walking Around in the Lean
- Artist Name:
- Daniel Melingo
- Song Title:
- Album Title:
- Santa Milonga
- Artist Website:
(From the website): Melingo is the legend of Melingo, the main protagonist in a life sometimes too intense, which had, inevitably, to lead to the tango. To be Melingo, one must walk the streets sniffing out poetry like a bloodhound.
- So this starts like any of the other leans.
- So we’ll go side, I’ll change weight, we’ll lean.
- Now comes the slightly harder part.
- But right here you notice, actually,
it’s not exactly the same.
- As I step side, I turn away.
- So the point is, when I walk around her,
I want to be more at a right angle…
- ..so I can just go back around in a circle.
- If I’m like this,
then I have to sort of cut around myself...
- .. and it’s a lot harder.
- So when I step side,
I turn my body a little bit sideways.
- And then I’ll create this lean,
leaning more sideways to her.
- So that I can now just go back around
the outer edges of the circle.
- Now as I do this,
I’m leaning towards her the whole time...
- ..trying to keep the same distance.
- Now if I ever do step, let's say, too close,
that’s just less lean.
- That’s okay as long as it’s deliberate.
- Of course, if you step farther away,
I take it in the abs.
- Right. And then also there’s this idea,
which is even more important than normal…
- ..of stabilizing left and right.
- N: Very important.
D: So that is, if I were leaning…
- ..if I started to fall this way,
she’s pushing with her left side now.
- If I start to fall the other way,
she’ll push with the other.
- So that, if she were to walk around me,…
- ..Man! She makes a big lean.
- Keep going, keep going.
- You did too, make it a big lean.
- She’s like, “Make your abs work, David.”
- Actually, let’s talk about that.
- Amusingly enough, if I were in the mood
to help but not too much...
- ..or if I wanted - how do I say this.
- Normally, if they do a big lean,
you just step and then you wouldn’t be in a big lean.
- N: Right.
D: So normally, if she’s leading me.
- Here maybe I’ll go. If she goes further,
I’ll be like “Man, that’s a lot.”
- And then I’ll step and I’m like “That’s it.”
- However, if I were maybe in a mood to keep the lean…
- ..then, when we’re in this big lean, and ig she goes too big…
- ..go too big, further, I’ll be like okay.
- N: That’s cool.
D: And I’ll just sort of scuttle in just a little...
- ..so that it doesn’t have this hugeness of lean
with my abs screaming.
- But merely with them moaning.
- That’s cool.
- As we do this, if the distance changes...
- ..and it becomes let’s say bigger than you want…
- ..for the leader, you just step in on your next step
and you compensate.
- So it doesn’t have to be perfect all the time...
- ..because you can fix it,
if you need it, next step.
- And just putting this together with the last step,
- Or with the step before that.
- So when he’s going around us in the lean like that…
- ..it’s really important for us as followers
to keep our energy towards his center…
- ..rather than to let it go off to the side...
- ..because we’re leaning on what feels like his side.
- N: Right?