Leader's Embellishments and Molinette - Adv - Molinette With Kicks
- Artist Name:
- Song Title:
- La Cumparsita
- Album Title:
From cd baby writeup: Zigatango reworks Argentinean tango and traditional Gypsy music with a rare youthful flair exposing a burning intensity of emotion, often combined with a wild, almost demonic energy.
- This is one of the harder combinations.
- N: Unlike the last one we just videoed.
D: Well, the whole series.
- An what I want you to think about, especially since we're going to be kicking between the legs, is the simultaneity.
- The way I connect the rotation of my leg with the rotation of my body. So that there's no damage done.
- After a while, we'll show those couple of steps separately, so that you can practice it to get the simultaneity.
- So, it starts like a normal molinette. Our entrance's going to be side and side. Rotates through, kicks, turns. Kicks, back ocho.
- So, I'll do that a little slower now.
- Let's scoot over more.
- Pivot around me. I shift forward as she turns... Now, right here, as she takes a step back, I take my foot around back.
- And, as she shifts side, I kick.
- And that's related to my pivot, right? So, as I'm pivoting her here, I'm kicking forward.
- When we teach that in class, we do just that. I stand like this. And he goes back, and then, forward.
- And we just do it, over and over again.
- Like that.
- Now, after that, I'm going to whip around, after this kick. I pivot my hip around. Whip around, boleo.
- And that's going to be her forward step after that. And, as I pivot so she steps side, bang, there's another kick.
- Let's do same angle.
- Back; fit. Here's that whip around, for that other kick.
- Now, I'm going to collect in, pivot her for back ocho, and then, go into back ocho.
- N: Could we show it, just once, showing it?
- Like that. Woman's part. What she's got to remember?
- Follower's part. Oops, excuse me, any men, who are following. Follower's part.
- On that note. Now, so if I'm the follower: side; inside leg here. Make sure you shift.
- And that you pivot. And face, as you go, so it's squarely around the man.
- In, tight; back. So, there's a big pivot, as always in molinette. In, tight.
- And, you really want to think that you're very aware of the way your feet are related to the movement of your body.
- Because that's what he's going to control your legs, by how much he pivots you.
- And so, if you're going too fast with your foot, or too slow, then he'll kick you. Let's show the wrong.
- OK. We do have a video on molinette, about molinette. And almost all of the techniques for that, hold for this.
- N: What's the wrong you want?
D: If you step too fast with your foot, when you're going side.
- So, right here... Let's scoot a little more. Right? You have to go to your foot, before your body. Yes.
- N: That was what you want?
- D: So, if you're going your foot before your body, he goes, "Bang", he kicks the foot,
- D: Because he doesn't expect it to be there. Your body hasn't moved at all.
N: That makes sense.
- D: Showing from another angle.
N: The wrong, or the right?
D: The wrong.
- D: That wasn't bad. She's really good at the wrong.
N: I'm eager to get through the wrong is the truth.
D: So, right here...
- OK, I'm lucky, but you see how I could have hit her foot. Because her body hadn't move that far.
- D: So, if we're showing the right now...
N: Ha! There we go.
- We're showing the right now. You'll see her body goes with the foot, so I know exactly where the foot is.
- It's, actually, easier to do it moving my whole body than just moving my foot out of the way.
- D: Show one last time?