Ganchos, Boleos and Kicks - Intermediate - Linear Boleo
- Nama artis:
- Tajuk lagu:
- La Cumparsita
- Tajuk Album:
From cd baby writeup: Zigatango reworks Argentinean tango and traditional Gypsy music with a rare youthful flair exposing a burning intensity of emotion, often combined with a wild, almost demonic energy.
- A linear boleo is like any other except
it’s in a line.
- So as you do the boleo, for the leaders
it’s the same lead.
- I give her momentum and then I stop it.
- You’ll notice my right leg, I’m keeping it back
like an anchor.
- If I’m teaching this particular linear boleo, it’s side, change.
- So we have side, he changes weight,
- We go and then here I’m going to
plow forward and then stop.
- And the plow forward gives her so much momentum
that the leg keeps going…
- ...and then I stop and I stop the body,
but the leg keeps going.
- Another angle.
- Whatever it is.
- For the followers as you do this, you go side, back,
make sure he doesn’t hit his partner.
- The leader would send you back.
- You’ll notice I’ll back with the thigh first.
- One more time.
- I go back with the thigh first and then it hits.
Same pop at the top.
- Also there’s a little bit of counter balance
so I’m going to exaggerate that counter balance...
- ..just to make the point.
You probably won't do this much.
- In slow motion, here’s that really pull just so they see.
- So you see she’s not on her own axis...
- ..it’s a tiny hair behind and then it comes back.
- That worked.
- She’s like “David, you didn’t tell me
you’re going to let go of that hand.”
- For the followers when you do this,
there’s this horrible battle between...
- ..the goal of reaching far and the goal of
keeping your thighs tight.
- So if I show it to this camera,
if you watch my thighs and I go back…
- ..it’s harder to reach far
if your thighs are tight like this.
- My hips are down, right.
- So if I keep my back straight and my thighs tight,
that’s all I can go.
- If I turn out and I cheat in my back,
I can really go far...
- ...but you see the cheating in the back...
- ..and the openness in the thighs
and I don’t have a great answer.
- So I’m going to say, if it’s a performance
and you want to be really big…
- ..I give you permission to cheat a little bit in your thighs
and a little bit in your back.
- And if you want to be pure and whole
in the body...
- ...and to not compromise your sense of integrity of
wholeness and art and whatever I’m going on..
- ..then I want you to really keep the back straight
and keep the thighs closed.
- Showing one more time.
- Two more times.
- And just as a bonus, I’m going to show
but not do...
- Sorry, I’m going to show but not teach.
- Same thing, one more step,
with the leader turning back just for fun.