Elemen Advanced - She Flies and Then She Swoons
- Nama artis:
- Marcelo Alvarez
- Tajuk lagu:
- Por Una Cabeza
- Tajuk Album:
- Marcelo Alvarez Sings Gardel
- Laman Web Artis:
A classical opera singer with a wide range of music, including Argentine Tango.
- For years, she would say to me, let’s do the magic flying step.
- And what we’re about to do is the magic flying step.
- It’s - it’s hard to do and it’s even harder to do so it feels right.
- And my point isn’t that - how to say,
yes, you should be prepared to suffer…
- But that’s not the main point.
- The main point is that I want you to
be easy on yourself.
- So if you find, "Oh man this is hard," that’s okay.
It’s supposed to hard.
- On that note.
- Here's the magic flying step.
- One more time.
- So to break it down...
- .. it starts with a side step,
but this is not the normal side step...
- ..in a molinette,
where the woman goes on a circle around you.
- So a normal molinette side step
would look something like this.
- And you see her going around me.
- This side step looks like this.
- So you see, she cuts straight by me.
- And what happens is, literally, it's like she's walking
towards you and you go woosh...
- ..out of the way.
Except to make her walk towards you...
- ..you have to lead this, for the leaders.
- The lead, you're going to hold her in, up
very softly, maybe a tiny inch back, the tiniest of a lean.
- I'll rotate her. And then, for the ladies,...
- ..as I'm going to take my left instep
around my right heel...
- ..pulling to my left and she's going to
pivot a little bit first, and then step by me.
- Now, as she's stepping by me, once she gets
to the other side, I'll hold in and up.
- Because that becomes the entrace of a lean.
- Well actually, it's more complicated than
a simple lean, right?
- That would be too easy. So instead, I'm walking
around in a circle...
- ..so I'm walking in a circle around her.
- And as I do that, I walk very subtly outward,
creating an ever greater lean.
- The trick is to make it not ever happen
at one point in time.
- So, if I do this in slow motion.
- When are we in the lean?
- And you'll say, "I don't know."
- And then you'll say, "Okay you're definitely in the lean."
- And I'll ask, "When did we get there?"
And you'll say, "I don't know."
- It's like the paradox of the heap.
- Even I don't know when we start.
- Right, so the spiral is so gentle,
as it goes outward...
- ..that she doesn't know when
the lean's happening.
- N: Until it's there.
D: Until it's there, and it becomes like magic.
- To talk about the differences between this
and a normal lean...
- In a normal lean, you just go straight back slowly.
- However you get there, creating
soft forward pressure.
- But this is harder in two ways, right?
- And it doesn't just get linearly harder,
it gets exponentially harder, right?
- So harder in two ways is like eight times harder.
- It's David math.
- So the first way it's harder is that...
- ..in a normal lean, it's just this.
But now we're going in a circle.
- And it has to stay this.
- And it has to stay that. So, as you go in the circle,
even if I keep the distance the same,...
- I have to be aware of the line of pressure,
between the two of our bodies.
- So, as I'm here I am pushing straight through
her center line...
- ..and likewise she's doing the same.
- And what will sometimes happen is that we'll
start to slip and fall to one side or the other.
- So for example, I'll be leaning on her and
it will start to slip and it will go...
N. Oh, David.
- That's scary.
- I'm sorry.
- So as we do that, I want you to be aware,
,both the leader and the follower,...
- ..that you can compensate using either arm.
- So for example, if she is leaning on me and
she starts to tip over this way...
- ..I'm going to pull with my right arm.
I'm going to push with my left and I will right her up.
- And likewise, she can pull with her left arm -
here we'll do that so you can see.
- So right here, as it starts to tip,
she's really pulling with her left arm...
- ..so that she doesn't tip.
- So we can both use our upper body to stabilize.
- The second thing I want to mention,
especially for the leaders...
- ..is that, as you go around in the circle,
you have to remember to lean more.
- And now, the exit is just a left foot basic.
- So, to summarize.