Expanded Intermediate Vocabulary - Gancho Inside
- Nama artis:
- Momo Smitt
- Judul lagu:
- Here In The Music
- Judul album:
- Tango World
- Situs artis:
From website: My Name is Momo Smitt, I am an independently funded/promoted hip hop artist based in Portland, OR. My music covers a wide range of topics from recovery and personal growth to political and environmental issues. Though much of my music is expressed from a first person perspective of opinions and feelings, I also tend to take a narrative, story-telling approach while detailing my experiences through the role of "observer".
- This is Patti and Alex.
They are very beloved students of ours.
- Pattie studied with us for, is it,
two and a half years now?
- Alex for almost three.
- They're going to show a whole ton of different ways
to do ganchos.
- In fact, we’re doing a whole series about ganchos
because everybody always loves them.
- And so, we’re going to have a lot of different variations.
- So, first they’re going to show inside
and outside ganchos the normal way.
- Alright, give it a go.
- And let’s actually have you start
facing the camera here and go for it.
- Okay, and I believe that’s a gancho we’ve taught already.
- And that's not.
- But it’s the same idea that you have her
kicking on the inside of the guys leg...
- ..it can be either leg.
- So, when you’re doing the gancho on the first side,
- We’ve talked about that a lot.
- Let's show two ways. So there’s one way where, in the freno,...
- ..you’re here and then when she walks over,
kicks, the other leg's on the other side and goes deeper.
- And so that’s sort of the deeper version.
- That’s a harder version.
- For many people harder version, harder on balance.
- If you are doing the other side.
- Right here,
I’m making a comment so I’m pausing them.
- They're like "freeze!".
- Comment: he really overturned her a lot.
- So, for the followers, you really have to think about
pivoting around the guy.
- Otherwise you’ll end up way too far. Keep going.
- And freeze. Actually go into the gancho and then freeze.
- Freeze, okay, don’t move.
- Now I've got you Alex. Patti just sort of unhook,
- No no you don't untangle Alex.
- I think David is having way too much fun freezing people.
- Okay now, Alex freeze.
Patti move out.
- So, for the leaders, if you look at his leg,
this is sort of fun.
- If you look at his leg,
you’ll notice the heel is popped.
- It’s turned out at the knee.
The body is back but the leg is forward.
- Is it not the case that
more heel popping is the better?
- The more room it is.
- The more room you get?
- You need at least enough.
- So, if his heel was down, and if his body was forward,
then there’s no room for me to stand here.
- So it pushes her out of the way
and there’s very little room for the ganhco.
- If he picks up his heel, there’s now room.
- And if he moves back a little bit,
there’s now lots of room to kick.
- That was a good gancho David.
- Now let’s do that again.
I like this whole freeze thing. It’s fun.
- So give it a go.
- Yes, yes. Same one.
- Now right there, freeze.
- Now, if he draws his foot back, I want you to notice
that she went around him going back.
- She’s almost turned away from him.
- Notice how open her hips are
and how much she’s going around the circle of him.
- I’m going to do it wrong.
- D: She’s like…
N: Lucky Alex.
- Let’s see you gancho me now.
- A: Nope.
D: Keep going.
- Make it work. Make it work
- Make it work?
- Make it work.
- N. That was terrific.
D. Just for fun. You can always make it work.
- And, actually, for real,
if I were to make it work - screw me up.
- If we go into this gancho,
the principal is i want her to go around me.
- But if she doesn’t -
actually make it really big.
- I want them to see that I really have to work.
- Alright and I’m like.
- You’ll send her a postcard.
- Right, so that’s a bad thing.
- But, idea: you want your leg towards the follower’s back leg.
- So wherever she goes…
- N. Good gancho.
D. The passion.
- So, for the leaders, make sure you go to the follower...
- ..if she doesn’t go where you expect.
- But, on the other hand, make sure you don’t have...
- ..any unexpected surprises.
- So how do you do that, Alex?
- N. Magic.
- They’re like, "You didn’t tell us we’d have to talk."
- I didn’t. Bad David.
- N: Naughty David.
D: Naughty David.
- So, we go side, change. I want you to think that
you pivot the follower around you.
- So it goes, in my hand you’ll see,
I hold her in so she can’t go away.
- So we go, side change, pivots around,
leg very turned out, bang there’s our gancho.
- Show each once more.
- And we’ll just be here like proud parents.