Classes cancelled April 7th (Traveling to see the eclipse :). Classes cancelled April 21st (Tucson Tango Festival). ×
Đăng nhập

Milonga

john.braunbeckJohn Braunbeck
  • 3 Tháng 10 '15

Who are some of your favorite contemporary milonga dancers?

dwyliuDavid Liu
  • 5 Tháng 10 '15

My favorite is Horacio Godoy: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vtUzLQfKHPo

That said (and not contemporary) but Osvaldo Zotto was also a beautiful Milonga dancer. You don't see much of it online (I tried to find one!) because he always performed tango, but his milonga was beautiful in a somewhat understated way.

• 8 Tháng 10 '15

Godoy is so cool. When they rejoin the tempo at 1:35 it makes me want to stand up and shout.

Not as avant garde, but technically awesome are Diego Lanau and Luz Castineiras. Luz is in town for the Tangofest, at the practica I went to on Sunday, and the milonga I went to last night. She is an absolutely tenacious follower. YouTube is fun, but when you see connection in person it’s a whole new ball game. She’s from BA, and now lives in San Francisco. I talked with her a little bit on Sunday. When she learned tango it was like taking a full time job. Five days a week, eight hours a day……..for five years.

BTW, I didn’t mean to imply I danced with her – I just observed. One of these days……

dwyliuDavid Liu
  • 9 Tháng 10 '15

Steve, you write like a poet! :) Where did Luz train (what school?)? What places teach tango so much for years?

Mariela Sametband is fabulous. She is so clean, and has such a strong center.

Here is one of my favorite videos of her:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7d6HEjIUow8

How do you embed youtube videos? You have a mad kind of forum kung-fu!

Thanks!
David

• 11 Tháng 10 '15

OMG, Mariela Sametband is more fun than a tornado in a trailer park. Look at this one below. Walk to the embrace? Nope. This is a romp to the catch. The audience participation at 1:42 is hilarious, and then she tops it with that finish!

Clean? I think she’s kind of sloppy. Steps on her partner’s feet several times during this:

This is a helpful link if you think you’ve seen everything:

I don’t know about Luz’s schools, whether it was a school, or combination of schools and internships. Interesting though, she said her job in BA was as a therapist. Her various web profiles list music therapist as a skill. BA is the world capital of tango, but I’m learning it may be the world capital psychoanalysis too, with more therapist than anyplace else in the world. The Palermo neighborhood in BA is also known as Villa Freud because of the high concentration of therapist in the neighborhood.

The links to YouTube seem to embed if they’re on their own line, and highlighted. That is, if you hit “Enter” after you paste the link. I’m far from a wizard – discovered that completely by accident.
SVB

Nancy SolanoNancy Solano
  • 12 Tháng 10 '15

You've shown a vals, a tango and a milonga, which is cool. I especially thank you for the milonga, which I hadn't seen. We particularly like Mariela Sametband for her milonga. It mixes so much core with casual essence. I found this one milonga while looking for a different one I wanted to show you (which I failed to find). I like both of them, which is often not the case for me. And I particularly like how they create that push/pull pressure between them. An example of that is at 1:45-1:46.

"Romp to the catch?" You have such a great way with words.

Nancy

• Page 1 of 1