Classes cancelled April 7th (Traveling to see the eclipse :). Classes cancelled April 21st (Tucson Tango Festival). ×
Oturum aç

What makes (leaders/followers) enjoy a dance? What's important to you?

dwyliuDavid Liu
  • 30 Haz '15

For those of you who always wanted to know what your partners thought ... let's have everyone chime in.

What makes a good dance for you? What things are important?

Maybe, even more interestingly, what things aren't?

Thanks!
David

Nancy SolanoNancy Solano
  • 30 Haz '15

The very best dances, for me, let me feel like I'm "really dancing". That's something I bring to the dance but also something in the dancingness of my partner. I like it when a leader (or follower, I also lead) dances with his/her whole self, moving from his center. I like when he finds time inside the music, when the dance relates to the music or, even better, has opinions about the music. I like it when a leader doesn't feel pressure to do one fancy step after another but rather lets the dance ebb and flow with the music.

• 1 Tem '15

This is a quote from John Vaina, whoever that is, that I saw on another web site: “To be a great lead, do not love the woman you dance with; rather, listen to the music and love it! Beautiful tango is a process of transference - your love for the music will be transferred to the follower, and she will be enchanted.”
Whenever I tell people I’m taking tango lessons they usually say something about the erotic aspect of tango. They say it’s a passionate, sensual, suggestive, sex with your clothes on type of dancing. For me, the intimate relationship is not with my partner – it’s between me and the music. A great dance is when I can transfer my love of the music to my partner, and we move together to the music.

Nancy SolanoNancy Solano
  • 1 Tem '15

That's really interesting. For so many, the key is the relationship between the dancers. For me, first, comes my relationship to the dance and then my relationship, through dance, between me, my partner and the music. I'd be very interested in how others experience it.

mrsilvaMaria Silva
  • 1 Tem '15

For me, I love when my partner and I are able to be present in our bodies, in the moment and with each other. When this happens the pressure of what will happen or the focus on technique fall away and it is just about listening and being. Tango for me is another opportunity to connect with my partner, and although I love music, the relationship with my partner is the focal point.

• 2 Tem '15

A good dance for me is all about the energy - the energy conveyed by the music, the energy conveyed by the leader and my own energy in response to the music and the leader, as well as the energy that comes from my own "letting go" into the moment. When I am dancing what feels like the best kind of dancing, I feel literally "out of my mind" in an almost meditative state, with no thoughts and with a complete sense of wholeness in embodying the dance; and even better, I have a psychic sense that my leader is in that same state, whether we are completely together or whether doing our own thing in some way. I find when my energy is off, or the energy of my leader is off, the feeling of meditative flight while dancing is not as likely to be achieved. One very important thing to me is that my leader be silent and avoid making conversation or making comments or giving instructions while dancing. No matter how pleasant or well intentioned, I find it distracting and that it cuts into the potential positive creative energy of the dance. To me, dance is a whole world unto itself where I actually have little interest in anything about my leader beyond the quality and energy of the dance. Everything else is just stuff.

• 17 Tem '15

I like the moments when we feel like one body floating on ice, and I am not conscious of following. I am off if I realize I am trying too hard to figure out what he wants me to do. In the theater, that call that being in your head and it doesn't work there either. If you're in your head on the dance floor, you're not really on the dance floor, you're in the classroom. I second judeliek--no conversation or instruction from the leader, please.

• 18 Tem '15

Tango

How he walks is difficult to explain.
I cannot, for all the times I’ve seen him
at the cafe where I start my days, say
what injury caused his crippled limp.
An outward twist of the shin has left
a great weight for the hip to carry...
A catching swivel, eccentric as a cam,
a sort of gathered rush, then hesitation,
then a soft, light scraping of the sole.
And yet, of all the people I imagine
dancing with, as I savor my espresso
he intrigues the most. I could make use
of that shift, I keep on telling myself.
So sure I am about it, I almost cross
the floor and, with angel tenderness,
embrace him in an invitation to dance
the tango with me, allowing for a lead
as will be led in heaven, when all of us
dance all of the time, in all of our bodies,
however we have lived, whatever ages
have passed us through. Like this music,
out of nowhere, surrounding suddenly,
and my flawless foot sweep, the gancho
delighting his balanced grace, stubbed
into a delicate dash more beautiful
than beauty, our step together as one,
shaped to the music we’ve become…
But we do not touch. Nor does anyone
along this countertop. What has been
made real by what will never happen
is why I cannot move to hold him,
why we shuffle, why this is not heaven.

• 19 Tem '15

For me a good Tango dance is a combination of being with a strong leader who is very clear in his lead and about both of us understanding the musicality and feeling the music deep in your souls. We are one with each other and one with the music. At that moment nothing else exists and we are totally focused on each other and the music. This is what sets dancing Tango apart from other dances. What I don't like is a partner who talks or tries to "teach" me his way. Mostly I find that if the leader is strong and precise in his lead the follower will follow without verbal direction and the dance will be not only beautiful but pleasurable for both partners.

Bu yorum silindi.
dwyliuDavid Liu
  • 1 Eki '15

Steve posted a fun article in the main forum - take a look at it :)

"What Men and Women Want - By Melina Plebs"

P.S. This post was deleted and re-posted to test a fix to the forum functionality.

• Page 1 of 1