Kookie Crosses - Int - Trapped Cross In Place
- Alex Krebs
- Suerte Loca
- New York Tango Jam Session
From website: (Alex Krebs) Has been studying the bandoneon since May 2001, directed the tango band "Conjunto Berretin." (with 2 CD's recorded) from 2003-2008, and currently is arranging/directing a tango sextet and arranging/directing an Orquesta Tipica for the Portland Tango Festivals in Feb. and Oct.
- We call this kookie crosses, like the rest of our steps...
- ..or many of our steps aren't kookie.
- What happens is the leader
takes us into a back ocho...
- ..and then traps which is a normal thing to do.
- But then from the trap,
he gets a really good hold on her left foot...
- ..and he actually lifts it over into a cross...
- ..which is not a really normal thing to do.
- So for the leaders, here's the back ocho.
- Now right here, instead of letting the pivot -
I let the pivot finish...
- ..but I stop her from going back all the way;...
- ..pulling this way with my left hand and
and likewise with my right arm being like an iron bar.
- And as she goes back, I'll move my foot to touch.
- Body to trap, both feet to trap.
- And her, what is it, metatarsal is -
my instep is to her metatarsal.
- And normally here, I'd go back and she'd go into a freno
- Well, not me, but that's typical.
- Instead, with my right foot,
I'm going to come on one side...
- ..and my left shin on the other,
and I'm going to use that to pick up her foot...
- ..move it up over, and cross it.
- And then I'll shift her body
to the ball of that left foot.
- For us, when he's doing something kookie like that,...
- ..we need to remember to press down from our back...
- ..which helps not only our balance but his balance.
- And we need to let him move our leg like that...
- ..rather than deciding, oh we figured out
what he's going to do...
- ..and going and doing it.
- So we keep the pressure against his shin,
so that he can lift us.
- Can we show it in the foot camera?
- What do we? - uh sure.
- So after she steps back...
- ..I'll trap or actually touch, trap.
- With my right foot, I come underneath her in step...
- ..and with my shin I come to the other side.
- And between the two, lifts up over,
shifts down, shifts over.
- D: The shift over is in the body.
- I thought that was pretty cool.