技术介绍 - Honoring Axis
- So as I go around, this is all about honoring axis.
- And so why can she be so easy,
so gliding as if she were on ball bearings?
- D: And that's because -
N: Was I?
- D: Yes, you were.
N: How cool.
- And that’s because
she had very good technique...
- ..and that gives us all this ease
- So for example,
when you can do that...
- ..you can do lots of cool stuff right?
we'll have combinations.
- Sometimes it’s for the guy right,
we’ll be here...
- and he has this moments of “Ah”
and then going through.
- Sometimes it’s for the girl
and maybe she’ll have.
- So those beautiful pivots where you’re just here
and you go “Ah” and then you go on.
- Some technical things to enable this
for the followers and for the leaders actually...
- ..for both people, I want you to be aware
that when you step...
- ..especially for the followers...
- ..it steps all the way over
to the ball of the foot.
- So if I’m the girl -
- It’s not going to work unless
you’re on the ball of your foot.
- If I do this; and someone says,
"Am I on the ball of my foot?"
- I may say yes.
- A lot of people say,
“Yes I’m on the ball of my foot."
- "Look see I’m forward.”
- But I don’t want you just to be there.
I want you be here.
- So if you pick up your free leg
and then you pick up the other leg’s heel...
- ..then you’re on the ball of your foot.
- And then you can lower the foot,
lower the other foot.
- But keep your weight that far forward.
- So even if we step side, I’m there.
- And now there are technical things we can do
to help as well...
- Right?..so the follower;
you can pull in and down just a little bit...
- ..and that little bit
helps a lot with balance.
- For example...
- ..if I try to balance on one foot,
that’s a very hard way to balance.
- But if I just, even one finger,
all of a sudden it becomes much more stable.
- So you guys can try that,
even with a counter in the kitchen.
- Just put one finger on the counter.
- It makes a huge difference.
- Good point.
- Now for the leaders,
what I want you to do...
- ..here, let me get one of our couples
from the previous chapter.
- And I want you to say,
“Well, how can I tell where the follower’s axis is?"
- "How can I help her be on her axis
and not throw her off?”
- And one way to tell is the pressure.
- So for example if this chair is a follower
and I’m holding it right here...
- I feel the weight going a little bit
- And that means
the chair’s axis is this way right?
- So I have to pull it away from
that point of pressure...
- ..and you keep looking around until
you can find this point of perfect balance.
- Or almost perfect.
- And the truth is, and that’s pretty close right,
it takes a while to drop.
- And so I’m doing the same thing with the follower.
- She can do this with me.
- So for example if I’m the follower and
I’m on one foot...
- ..and she moves it right here,
- She’s going to feel pressure...
- N: A lot of pressure.
D: ..that way.
- And so if you feel pressure that way...
- ..then take the follower the opposite way
and there’s no pressure.
- And then if I start going this way
and you feel pressure that way...
- ..guess what that means,
it means the follower is leaning back.
- That’s why she’s pulling on you.
- So pull her back onto the ball of her foot.
- And it’s not only for the guys;
it’s for the girls too.
- Girls, if you’re like this
don’t just stay here and make him suffer.
- Right if you’re like this and you're like
"Oh I'm losing my balance,"...
- you can push with your arms to find your balance,
right yourself up.
- This is for both people.
- And when you saw us do this,
these beautiful turning steps...
- ..we have maybe an overturn media vuelta
and you look at him and you say...
- “Oh, that’s so beautiful.”
Why is that so beautiful?
- Well it’s about the gliding ease.
But why can you have this gliding ease?
- And the answer is
the ease comes from the balance.
- And the balance comes because
you honor axis.
- And I don’t want you to think that balance is this thing
- ..and you either have it or you don’t.
- It’s the collection of techniques.
- Finding where the ball of your foot is,
is one technique.
- Using the one finger to balance,
soft pressure downward is a technique.
- Learning where the axis is and
adjusting the arms is another technique.
- So you accumulate these techniques
- ..these techniques are elevated
to this sort of mystical beauty.
- And that’s really fun.