Meer Met The Gancho - Advanced - Gancho - From Her Side
- Kristina Olsen
- Song Titel:
- How I Love This Tango
- Album Titel:
- All Over Down Under
- Kunstenaars Website:
From a review on the website: Olsen, an itinerant troubadour who regularly graces Australian folk festivals, was at her most engaging. Such was the candour of her songs and chatty tales that it would impossible for anyone with blood in their veins not to empathise with her. Her full-throated voice and crisp guitar served up such diverse subject matter as crop-dusting and prostitution, while a revealing yarn about life-drawing classes introduced The Truth of a Woman. From her new CD came In Your Darkened Room, the title track to an album containing some of her finest work, a black frost edging her usual warmth and humour.
- So David just asked me if I wanted
to do the introduction...
- ..for all of these gancho videos.
- And, I guess gancho is not my absolute
favorite combination or step in tango.
- Media Vuelta.
- Yes, exactly. That is one of them.
- But, so many people all over just love ganchos.
- And this particular gancho I think is really cool.
- And then David said "Well aren’t they all really cool?"
- And I guess they are, but this one is especially cool.
- It comes from ocho cortado
which is a very common step...
- ..that people do when it’s very crowded
and I like the ocho cortado a lot.
- So why don’t you show
and then we’ll show the evolution.
- You see, isn’t that cool?
- I love you.
And the other leg as well.
- Oh, I didn’t mean that other leg.
But that’s cool, too.
- That’s cool too.
- So, you just did this one
and then there’s this one.
- So, they did something that is very cool,
but that’s harder yet.
- That’s a different video.
- And so, if we talk about the evolution
from ocho cortado.
- Just do an ocho cortado.
- There’s that. And if you let it complete
then it changes weight like that.
- But do that again without letting it complete
going back and forth.
- So, if you stop it just short and then
you can go back and forth.
- Tick tock, tick tock. That’s the first thing to get this lead.
- And then, after you do that,
no legs for the guys.
- Do that but give it some momentum
so it has a flick.
- And so, you’ll see, in his upper body, again,
there’s that extra accent at the top.
- So now, once you can get that…
- It’s all about sound effects,
we've already established that.
- He can insert his leg making sure
the knee is pointed...
- ..the right way,
away from her and she can hook.
- And it doesn’t matter which leg he does that with.
- So, if you just do it.
- So, you see, there’s this evolution
from ocho cortadoo to...
- ..ocho cortado that doesn’t change weight to...
- ..ocho cortadoo with a kick flick
to either leg ganchoing.
- And really, if you want this one,
it’s probably a good idea to do it with them.
- But, one thing at a time and build up to it.